Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Review of Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Woon

Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful Series #1)Dead Beautiful is the story of a young woman who is sent to an unusual boarding school after her parents mysteriously die.  After living in boarding school for several weeks, she learns that the real reason for the school has nothing to do with classical methods.  But uncovering the truth of the school, Gottfried Academy, means learning more about herself and her boyfriend Dante than she is ready for.  Now she must choose what her love for Dante is really worth.

The main character, Renée Winters, is a believable but not incredibly strong character.  Because I tend to favor strong protagonists, she wasn't my favorite.  In certain parts of the story I felt I knew what was going on before she did and I don't like to be in that position.  I like to be "with" the character at all times, with the plot unfolding as "we" move forward.

That being said, Woon has created an extremely interesting world that these characters live in.  There is a lot of mystery behind Gottfried Academy, Renée's grandfather, the death of her parents, and even Dante. 

Life Eternal (Dead Beautiful, #2)Overall the story is intriguing.  There is mystery, fantasy, and romance.  For me, these are all of the best components.  The story was intriguing enough for me to download the sequel, Life Eternal, onto my iPhone.  I'm interested to see what the world Woon has created will bring for Renée and Dante.

What to anticipate in Dead Beautiful?
Just what Publisher's Weekly said; "a Harry Potter start and a Twilight finish."

See what other readers thought at Goodreads.com
Pick up your copy at Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment