Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mini-Review of Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Article 5 (Article 5, #1)Into the wee hours of this morning, I was up reading a fantastic new book by author Kristen Simmons called Article 5.  Article 5 is a post-apocalyptic story about a young woman's search to find her mother after they are both violently ripped from their home.

I picked this book up at Barnes and Noble as part of a display of books called "If you liked the Hunger Games…"  Simmons takes a totally different point of view of what government will be like after the collapse of America.  She perfectly creates a new government obsessed with opression, gender consistency, and an ideological moral code.  There were several instances where I literally got goosebumps and feared that the FBR were going to knock down my door for my own indescretions!  The whole "One whole country, one whole family" idea is petrifying to me!

After literally staying up all night to read it, I can safely say this is one of my new favorite books.  I've been thinking about it all day!  The story flowed seamlessly!  This is a great example of character-driven fiction; which is my favorite! 

The main protagonist in the book, Ember, is a strong character that will do anything it takes to find and save her mother.  When she reunites with her childhood love, Chase, they have to learn to work together even as they both fight the urge to run away.

At times this story is full of sorrow, hopelessness, and even anger, but then as if a light is turned on in a dark room, our heroine finds a sliver of hope and does what we least expected her to do. 

I 100% recommend Article 5 and I am highly anticipating the second book in the series, Breaking Point, which is due out in 2013.

Check out what others thought of Article 5 on Goodreads!  Plus snag your copy online at Barnes and Noble

Excited for news about Breaking Point?  Keep your eyes on Goodreads for new info, plus check out Karen's blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment