Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Review of Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Born WickedJessica Spotswood's premier novel, "Born Wicked," is a historical fantasy about the Cahill sisters of New England. Life is already hard for these three sassy, independent, educated girls growing up without a mother. Their father is never home, they live in early 20th century New England during a time where religious freedom means witch hunts, and they're being watched by the Brotherhood--the local clergy and government. When the eldest, Cate, finds a letter from her mother, written shortly before her death, everything gets even harder. Now Cate must decide what her future will hold and how she's going to keep her promise to keep her sisters safe.

This is Spotswood's first published novel and the first of The Cahill Witch Chronicles. I will say that "Born Wicked" isn't what I expected it to be, to say the least. I expected something more action-packed but what I got was drama. I've fallen in love with protagonist, Cate Cahill who is everything I hoped a witch and woman would be in early 20th century New England. She is independent and staggeringly aware of the prejudices against her type by the over-pious Brotherhood. She is what I think I would have been in that time. She is fiercely protective of her family and would do anything to keep them safe, even if that means giving up her own future.

Spotswood really makes a statement in "Born Wicked." She uses Cate's thoughts to send a message to readers about feminism, women's rights, and prejudice in general. She tells a story of growth, new beginnings, making choices to protect the ones we love, and a sad love story. Cate makes sacrifices larger than any other 16 year old I know is willing to make. Others will say Cate is dislikable, but honestly, that's what I like about her. She's stubborn, disagreeable, and yet she's absolutely lovable.

To me, "Born Wicked" was a definite hit. I can't wait for the next in the series. The next book, Star Cursed is due out next February and I can't wait! I hope there are more twists and turns, just like in "Born Wicked." As far as I'm concerned, Spotswood is an author to keep an eye on. Big things are coming.

Check out the Book Trailer right here!


To learn more about Jessica Spotswood, check out her website here!

See what other readers thought of "Born Wicked" on Goodreads.com.

Snag your copy of "Born Wicked" on Amazon.com or at Barnes & Noble!

No comments:

Post a Comment